The easy man’s sushi
For those untrained in art of rolling sushi, here is the perfect recipe for you. Furikake is available from Japanese grocery stores
- 150 gram packet cooked Fraser Isle Spanner crab meat
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons sushi vinegar
- 1 avocado, cut in half and sliced
- 1 baby quke or small lebanese cucumber, sliced into thin rounds
- Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger
- furikake, Japanese rice seasoning
- Yarra Valley Salmon Caviar
- baby shiso leaves
- To cook the sushi rice, rinse and drain the rice.
- Add the rice and water to a saucepan, bring to the boil, turn down to a low simmer and cover.
- Cook for 11 minutes, remove from the heat and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked rice in a large bowl, sprinkle over the vinegar and mix gently. You could fan the rice at this stage to cool quicker.
- Remove crab meat from the packet, gently mix the crab meat with its own tasty liquor.
- When the rice is cool place scatter onto a serving plate.
- Arrange crab, cucumber, avocado and ginger over the rice.
- Squeeze some Japanese mayo over the rice in small dots.
- Garnish with Yarra Valley salmon caviar and shiso leaves.
- Sprinkle with furikake and serve.